The history of the Oratory of Santa Marta in Craveggia, Vigezzo Valley, dates back a long way. It was built by the Confraternity of Santa Marta and construction began in the early 1600s.
The radical construction works, which involved the entire square, led to a complete renovation of the oratory itself, designed – probably inspired by the Royal Chapel of Versailles – by the architect Antonio Ferino from Craveggia.
In 1752 the masonry work was completed, while the interior decoration had to wait until 1836, when the Vigezzo painter Lorenzo Peretti was commissioned to fresco the walls with the biographical events of Martha, Mary and Lazarus.
The architecture of the Oratory of Santa Marta in Craveggia, with its exquisitely baroque taste, has a central octagonal plan. The northern side houses the façade with the main entrance, while the southern side houses the apse of the oratory.
Outside, the architectural decoration consists of simple pilasters and frames, while the façade is highlighted by a high curvilinear gable end and the portal with its stone frames and lintels. The high altar was built by Gioannino dell’Angelo in 1557 and bears the inlaid symbol of Santa Martha.
The liturgical celebration and the feast of the oratory in her honour takes place each year on 29th July.