In the centre of the square in Craveggia, in Vigezzo Valley, between the Parish Church and the Oratory of Santa Marta, sits the Baptistery.
In 1800 laws were passed requiring the decentralisation of cemeteries. In Craveggia, as in many other mountain villages, in ancient times the cemetery was located in the main square and surrounded the perimeter of the parish church. Following this law, it was moved to the entrance to the village. The square around the parish church was then embellished by buildings, including the Baptistery, with its original octagonal plan and the beautiful interior frescoes by the Vigezzo painter Lorenzo Peretti.
Externally, the roof of the building is made of flagstones, the local stone of which the characteristic roofs in the village of Craveggia are made, with traditional lozenge in faux 19th-century bossage. The exterior of the Baptistery is also adorned by a large fresco painting by Lorenzo Peretti depicting sacred scenes. Inside the Baptistery the ancient stone baptismal font and, in the apse, the fresco depicting The Eternal Father in a crown of angels are well worth admiring.