The large Parish Church of Craveggia, in the Vigezzo Valley, rises up above the main village square, Piazza dei Miracoli, overlooking a valuable monumental complex formed not only by the church itself, but also by the baptistery and the Oratory of Santa Marta.
The church’s current construction is the result of a rebuilding of a previous building of worship.
The new church, consecrated in 1770, received numerous large donations from Craveggian emigrants, which today constitute the Craveggia Treasure, one of the most precious treasures in Ossola Valley.
The architectural structure of the Parish Church of Craveggia is imposing, anticipated by a flight of steps and a three-arched portico frescoed by the Vigezzo painter Lorenzo Peretti. The majestic bell tower is constructed using large blocks of exposed stone. The church’s structure has three naves and the frescoes that decorate the interior are the work of Giuseppe Maria Borgnis.
In the vault of the presbytery the painter Borgnis frescoed the exceptional Gloria dei Santi Giacomo e Cristoforo (Glory of Saint James and Saint Christopher). The devotion to these two saints in Ossola Valley dates back to ancient times: both are considered protectors of pilgrims and travelling folk.