The Palazzo di Città in Domodossola, a 19th-century building designed by architect Leoni di Torino, contains the Sala Consiliare (Council Chamber), where the Domodossola Town Council has always met.
Inside this room, on 10th September 1944, a Provisional Council of the Partisan Republic of Ossola was established, chaired by Ettore Tibaldi: it was a symbolic moment of history with great political significance.
In 1984, on the initiative of the Resistance Associations and with the collaboration of the Historical Institute for Resistance in Novara, it became the Sala Storica della Repubblica dell’Ossola (Historical Room of the Republic of Ossola), the symbol of a very important chapter in the national events related to Italy’s liberation.
The Sala Storica della Resistenza (Historical Hall of Resistance), restored in 2004, is now furnished with a series of photographic panels that reconstruct certain events and episodes symbolizing the resistance movement in Ossola Valley. The long horseshoe-shaped table, which is still used by the councillors and the Council, contains copies of documents and newspapers from the time, displayed behind glass. The Sala Storica della Resistenza di Domodossola is completed by a display case that preserves the civic standard decorated with the Gold Medal of Military Valour.